Summary: Apple WWDC 2023 Wish List 🧞♂️
Every year, as many other in the Apple developer ecosystem, I maintain a list of bugs and features I'm missing from Apple's platforms.
This year I'm brave enough to run the beta on all my devices. It hasn't been that bad. More UI issues that pure functional issues. I'm currently on beta 3 for iOS, so there might bee some more fixes throughout this beta period. Apple fixes a lot with each release, and actually adds new features in beta releases as well, so might have to get back to this list. I also try to file radars for some of these issues.
Here's what got fixed or added during Apple's WWDC on Monday June 5th.
- Apple Search Engine (privacy focused alternative to Google and functional alternative to Duck Duck Go)
- Keychain passwords in dedicated "Passwords" app for all platforms
- True colors in macOS Terminal
- Swift + iCloud Cloud Functions
- "Append image to note" in Shortcuts (WWDC 23, but probably added earlier) ✅
- Contacts Smart Filter for profile images
- Support for simple calculations in Notes
- Easier linking between Mail, Notes and Reminders (iOS 17 fikk linking mellom notater)
- Better sync for Podcasts app (WWDC 23) ✅
- SwiftUI: Windowless apps
- Podcasts: Better handling of playlist with stuff I wan't to listen. If I remove item from a playlist on iPhone, it doesn't sync to other devices. (WWDC 23) ✅
- Reminders: archive lists, instead of delete
- Keychain: Family sharing for passwords (WWDC 23) ✅
- Notes: Fix PDF Rendering bug (28. feb. 2022) \ (iOS 17, but might have been fixed in earlier version) ✅
- HomeKit: support for robot vacuum
- Maps: support for biking in Norway
- Change the name of Stocks app (since it supports Crypto etc.)
- Notes: Support for more attached files. Some notes I can't add more pictures (2. may 2022)
- CloudKit: simpler API compatible with SwiftUI (WWDC 23, SwiftData is a new API that can sync data with CloudKit and CoreData) ✅
- Reminders: Smart lists not working with shared lists
- Notes: Link between notes (ref: Carl Pullin) (WWDC 23) ✅
- Freeform: Support for folders/groups
- Freeform: Remove warning each time a board is opened (WWDC 23) ✅
- Freeform: Add images from a cloud sync folder (now it doesn't add the image, just a cloud web link preview)
- Freeform: Link to a note in a Freeform document, and vice versa
- Freeform: Better text support for writing out a small document or something (WWDC 23, but probably before as I didn't notice you van write text in "shapes" with lots of text formatting.) ✅
In the next post I will update my wish list for 2024.